Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Days Like Today


Because of today... this song has been on my mind... have a listen...

              - Brian Littrell (more than just a Backstreet Boy)


“What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise”
      - Oscar Wilde


I could get used to days like today... We both had a chance to interact with Bronson...see him looking around - look at us... we were able to hear him cry... we both held him. 


Even through my own trials with cancer I never appreciated life and family the way I do now as a father. It's days like today I feel like I can see just a little bit through the eyes of God... To see my child fight through a tough battle - to see prayers being lifted up by people all over the world - it's an incredible thing to see faith in action. By name people around the world might be strangers, yet through Christ it feels like extended family. 


I can't begin to describe how proud I am with Bronson. He may go through life, succeeding at everything he puts his hand to, but these are the days I will remember... the days when he was finally sick of artificial life and decided to breathe for himself, by pulling out his breathing tube... A step so monumental in his progress that the nurse was caught off guard and had to hit "the big red button" - that brought everyone running... Oh what a trickster... only a few weeks old and already messing with people - He's definitely an Anthony. 


What a a story to tell... 
    Beyond stories that I can describe on a blog, I have seen such blessing poured out from God on our life... even through this trial. I have never seen such prayer, love and support that I have seen in this situation... to know that literally thousands of people are praying for us - for Bronson - it's a humbling experience. 


Many see 'religion' as a crutch. They see it as something that's only useful for the weak... I don't quite view it the same way. We all go through life winning and losing at different battles... But in the times that matter, I will boast in the fact that my strength is in Christ. See, in situations like this, Christ hasn't been the crutch I've leaned on... He's been the foundation that I stand on. 


We still don't know what's in store for Bronson. We have every reason to believe he is going to be restored but there is still some miracles that need to happen. The chemo has reduced the size of his liver and adrenal glands significantly - but currently his liver is not functioning properly... which is serious business... 
But why should we worry? Our boy was diagnosed with 'Bi-lateral Adrenal Neuroblastoma', and even though we were scared...we trusted God... and here we are... - Leaps and bounds beyond where he was 2 weeks ago - why would we doubt that God wouldn't continue to restore him? 


Just like Bronson, I refuse to live an artificial life... Christ said that he came to give life, and life to the full (John 10:10)... so that is what Angela and I choose for our family... to live life with Christ as our foundation... to give him praise through the good times and the bad...  We are believing for good things... 


 “I will rescue him;
   I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
   I will be with him in trouble,
   I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
   and show him my salvation.”



So tonight, even though we know we still need to see some major progress... I am thankful to the doctors, but especially to God that he has made the progress he has, and hope you join us in prayer to see his liver restored! 


Good night! 

1 comment: